Thursday, October 14, 2010

Web Log 4

Chapter 6 talks about different types off assessment and how it was carried out through history and how it has changed. In the early 1800's teachers used recitation as a means to test students knowledge. This knowledge was largely how well the students could memorize what was said in class. This influences me as a teacher because I don't like the idea of just memorizing information. I think that what is taught in class should be understood not just memorized. If a student understands the information, they are more likely to be able to remember what is taught. I think that if information is memorized, it is not properly retained. I know that the ways of testing have changed since the early 1800's, but I think memorization is a major part of how students prepare for tests today. I think we need to break students away from memorization and move them more to understanding what is taught. I think that this will benefit the students better than just memorization.

No comments:

Post a Comment