Monday, December 6, 2010

SL Weblog III

As I did for the last SL Weblog, I kept a journal of what happened in each of the last three SL trips.

November 8 - My experiences this time were different than my experiences prior to today. Jayden, the boy who I work with on sight words, has another tutor who meets with him on Tuesday's to reinforce the words. The tutor did not show up last week and so I had to do more work than usual. I do not mind doing more work because I enjoy working with Jayden, but I do not think it is right to not show up to service. I do not know why he missed his service last week, but it did not sit well with me. Other than that, Jayden is making a lot of progress and it i good to watch his understanding.

November 15 - Jayden's other tutor did not show up again last week so I had to do more work again. I do not understand how he can just not go to two weeks of service. The service is meant to benefit us, but when he does not go to service Jayden does not get the work he needs. Our job is to help Jayden learn, but if the other tutor does not show up then he is inhibiting Jayden's learning. On the bright side working with Jayden went well again and he is still eager to work and listen to what I have to say. I also got a taste of what it is like to teach a lesson to a group of students. In a different part of my service, I had a group of first graders and I was told to teach them about proper nouns. The first graders did not have any prior knowledge of proper nouns so I was teaching them something completely new. I think it went well, it seemed like they were beginning to understand it. It was tough teaching them about it though because I did not have any time to prepare or think about how I would I approach teaching them. Even though I did not have a chance to prepare I feel like I did a decent job of getting the information across to them.

November 29 - I worked with Jayden for the last time today. I was a little sad about it because I feel like we had a good relationship and he was learning very well. He told me his other tutor did not show up the last time again. This is three straight weeks that his other tutor has not shown up and it makes me feel bad for Jayden. We are here to help him but his other tutor does not come. I also worked with a group of students with proper nouns again. I feel more confident in what I did this time because of the practice I had last time. I think the kids gained a good understanding of proper nouns. My service was very rewarding for me. I feel like I learned a lot and that I had a good relationship with the kids. I enjoyed doing this service.

No comments:

Post a Comment